IanG on Tap

Ian Griffiths in Weblog Form (RSS 2.0)

Blog Navigation

August (2014)

(1 item)

July (2014)

(5 items)

April (2014)

(1 item)

March (2014)

(1 item)

January (2014)

(2 items)

November (2013)

(2 items)

July (2013)

(4 items)

April (2013)

(1 item)

February (2013)

(6 items)

September (2011)

(2 items)

November (2010)

(4 items)

September (2010)

(1 item)

August (2010)

(4 items)

July (2010)

(2 items)

September (2009)

(1 item)

June (2009)

(1 item)

April (2009)

(1 item)

November (2008)

(1 item)

October (2008)

(1 item)

September (2008)

(1 item)

July (2008)

(1 item)

June (2008)

(1 item)

May (2008)

(2 items)

April (2008)

(2 items)

March (2008)

(5 items)

January (2008)

(3 items)

December (2007)

(1 item)

November (2007)

(1 item)

October (2007)

(1 item)

September (2007)

(3 items)

August (2007)

(1 item)

July (2007)

(1 item)

June (2007)

(2 items)

May (2007)

(8 items)

April (2007)

(2 items)

March (2007)

(7 items)

February (2007)

(2 items)

January (2007)

(2 items)

November (2006)

(1 item)

October (2006)

(2 items)

September (2006)

(1 item)

June (2006)

(2 items)

May (2006)

(4 items)

April (2006)

(1 item)

March (2006)

(5 items)

January (2006)

(1 item)

December (2005)

(3 items)

November (2005)

(2 items)

October (2005)

(2 items)

September (2005)

(8 items)

August (2005)

(7 items)

June (2005)

(3 items)

May (2005)

(7 items)

April (2005)

(6 items)

March (2005)

(1 item)

February (2005)

(2 items)

January (2005)

(5 items)

December (2004)

(5 items)

November (2004)

(7 items)

October (2004)

(3 items)

September (2004)

(7 items)

August (2004)

(16 items)

July (2004)

(10 items)

June (2004)

(27 items)

May (2004)

(15 items)

April (2004)

(15 items)

March (2004)

(13 items)

February (2004)

(16 items)

January (2004)

(15 items)

Blog Home

RSS 2.0

Writing

Programming C# 5.0

Programming WPF

Other Sites

Interact Software

Apologies for Outage

Friday 27 February, 2004, 12:34 PM

My apologies for the intermittent outage of this blog and its RSS feed you may have experienced over the last two days. The web server was just fine, but I was having DNS issues.

Two days ago, Nominet (the authorithy for the .co.uk domain) were, bizarrely, giving out my old DNS provider's name servers as the authority for the interact-sw.co.uk domain. (I switched providers about about 4 months ago.) As it happens, my old provider never removed my old DNS records, so this wasn't quite as disruptive as it would normally be. However, my web hosting provider (Hostbasket) changed my server IP for some reason about a month ago. I updated the relevant address records at my current provider, but of course my old DNS provider didn't have a record of this change. With requests being routed back to them over the last couple of days, www.interact-sw.co.uk was resolving to the old IP.

What made this particularly peculiar is that the old IP address still sort of works, but only intermittently. In fact, for all I know, it was working just fine until two days ago - my web host provider didn't tell me how long I had to move to the new IP, so I'm not really sure how long the DNS config for my domain was messed up. It's conceivable that it has been broken ever since I changed DNS provider, but that this only started to cause a problem today because my previous provider were still able to handle requests. However, I'm pretty sure I did a whois after changing providers to check everything. (And the according to the current provider's documentation, they update Nominet's records when you move a domain over to them. Indeed they did the equivalent with my .com domain - it's only the .co.uk domain that has been having problems.) But it's hard to be completely sure - I have no way of telling now whether the .co.uk authority records have been wrong for months and I just didn't notice... However, even after I had reset the name server authority settings, my current provider's own name servers were insisting all of yesterday that they weren't responsible for my domain when I made my DNS lookup tools to go and ask them directly, so all was apparently not well at my DNS provider until this morning. (BTW, I tried my tests from three different locations on the internet, so I'm sure it's not just a problem with my local DNS setup.)

Still, whatever happened, normal service is now resumed. (Not that I think the temporary absence of my blog is going to cause anyone any serious problems. It's just that it annoys me when other peoples blogs cause lines in SharpReader to turn red, so I assume it probably annoys some of you to. Sorry about that.)

Copyright © 2002-2013, Interact Software Ltd. Content by Ian Griffiths. Please direct all Web site inquiries to webmaster@interact-sw.co.uk